Persephone Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Recurring dream about childhood home

I keep having a recurring dream about my childhood home. It was a little rundown brown house that was torn down a few years after my family moved out.

In my dream, the house is still standing, and my husband and I have bought it. We are moving boxes into the house, which is empty but otherwise exactly as it was when I was a child.

I am so happy the whole dream. I feel like I'm just beaming as we move our belongings into the house. I say over and over again, "I can't wait to fill this house with happy memories! I can't wait to raise our daughter in this house!"

My husband, on the other hand, will not stop complaining about the house. He is angry that there is no air conditioning or dishwasher, and that there is only a bathtub and no shower. He starts complaining loudly about the floor plan and how stupid it is (the floor plan was very odd- you had to walk through each bedroom to get to the next). He keeps telling me that he hates the house and that it is a terrible place to raise a family. That's basically how it usually ends.

Last week though, the dream changed. In the dream, my husband and I bought the house again, but this time instead of getting angry like usual, he tells me that he is going to remodel the house and then we're going to sell it to someone else. He tells me very firmly, but very lovingly, that he is not raising our daughter in this house. He tells me that I need to let it go.

So then in the dream, the renovation is complete and I'm walking through the house. It's so beautiful and it looks perfect. All of the house's problems have been solved. But instead of feeling happy, I become filled with these really intense feelings of grief. I stand in the corner of the living room where our piano used to sit, and I start crying. My husband says I have to leave the house and I start sobbing. I say, "You don't understand! It's my house! It's my house!"

That's how the dream ended. I woke up sobbing. I am confused as to why I dream about this place so much. I did not have a happy childhood. I do not have good memories from my time there. The dream started when I was pregnant with our daughter, and she is one year old now.

This house is haunting my dreams, and I want it to stop. Help!

Hi,
    House means your partner or a good money.
    Crying means a happiness.

Hi again,
    the boxes if in cartoon means pieces of money you will both earn.

hislove3 Guest

To me it sounds like you feel that your husband does not accept some part of you, or is trying to change some part of you. Your childhood home is precious to you, and he does not want to keep it. He tells you to let go...let go of the past. IS there something in your past, maybe a belief system, moral code ect..that you are holding onto that he does not agree with?

momo19 Guest

Default Childhood home dreams

I have had the same dream for years. The reason you have this recurring dream is two-fold.

First, you never received closure once you left your home. That is the biggest reason. Subconsciously you feel you were forced out of your home. I have this same problem. We were forced to sell our home because we couldn't make the payments. Why did your family leave? We lived n three homes when I grew up but I only dream of the home we were forcd out of.

The other reason is you attach the home to ideals of your childhood, a better time, a safer time where your parents could protect you. Now that it is gone you yearn for it again.

momo19 Guest

Default Childhood dreams

I have had the same dream for years. The reason you have this recurring dream is two-fold.

First, you never received closure once you left your home. That is the biggest reason. Subconsciously you feel you were forced out of your home. I have this same problem. We were forced to sell our home because we couldn't make the payments. Why did your family leave? We lived n three homes when I grew up but I only dream of the home we were forcd out of.

The other reason is you attach the home to ideals of your childhood, a better time, a safer time where your parents could protect you. Now that it is gone you yearn for it again.