Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Why Do We Dream?

Hello All,

The science suggests that dreaming is a byproduct of vestigial metabolic activity in the brain associated with the evolution of sleep. Sleep is comprised of various components of which dreaming is the most recently evolved, which is suggested by its association with an active neocortex. Our sleeping brain becomes active amid sleep as our metabolism shifts from a muscle readiness state to a state that sustained our animal ancestors through prolonged periods of physical inactivity and rest. Amid that state, our brain becomes active as those neurological and physiological systems vital to our survival amid rest receive and draw increased energy from the body's reserves. An active brain amid sleep draws on the energy stores of the body and dreaming involves an active brain. Although sustaining our neurological systems may explain why we dream, that alone doesn't suggests that the content of dreams are meaningful. That is suggested by another aspect of the science--which I will save for another discussion. I welcome your thoughts.
    Last edited by DrmDoc; 06-17-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    "Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart; live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours." Dale Carnegie

Default Re: Why Do We Dream?

I am not a scientific dreamer nor am I scientifically inclined! I will say, though, that dreams help to keep us sane. Without this time to rest, we would eventually be admitted to a hospital! Dreams are also our experiences in the heavens of God.

Hello Carol Morgan,

The science of dreams, as I have come to understand, is not a denial of their spiritual content or influence. Science isn't always a bad thing when it leads to an enlightened rather than dictated understanding of ourselves and our experiences. I welcome your thoughts.
    "Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart; live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours." Dale Carnegie

I would like to see this science which suggests a meaningful purpose for dreaming.

Hello someruser88,
    There is more than sufficient peer-reviewed science suggesting the meaningful physical and mental health benefits of dreams and dreaming. If the question is whether or not dream content is meaningful, the answer is indeed it is. If the question is whether or not dreams have a purpose, the answer depends on the content of the dreams. Dreams are mental experience and, like such experiences, reflect our thought processes. Some of our thoughts are purposeful and some are not.
    Last edited by DrmDoc; 08-16-2015 at 01:26 PM.

If we could NOT dream... We would go insane. I believe this, and I feel this is what you are saying. We NEED to dream. Our minds, our very existence depends on our ability to sort out not just our daily affairs, but our core philosophy. DREAMS are this catalysis.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

Hello All,

I've been away for a while, but not too far from Dream Central. I now have more definitive answers about why we sleep and dream since my last post. If you've followed any of my previous posts, you will find that much of my opinion relies on the science of the sleep process. Although many may believe otherwise, the science of sleep and dreaming does not undermine the spiritual quality of dreams, which many have come to believe. Dreaming is another way our brain has evolved to perceive and process our experiences and, as such, our dreams are extensions of what we think and believe. The science tells us what dreams are, why we have them, and what they mean. Indeed, all dreams are meaningful regardless of how incongruous they often appear. Understanding what our dream experiences mean isn't interpreting signs, symbols, and feelings, it's about understanding how our brain universally perceives and processes information. That information, once translated, can reveal some remarkable things about ourselves and our experiences. For example, our dreams can prepare us for events yet occur with imagery revealing the precise nature of those future events. This type of dreaming is call Precognitive and it has a basis in the peer-viewed science of sleep and dreaming. In answering why we dream, everything about the sleep process, including dreaming, serves the metabolic needs of the brain and body--without those needs there is no dreaming.

hello everyone my deam is make a successgul person.
    thank you

i have already b.tech complete.

regards
    jessica patel
    ciontact me dissertation proposal writing
    Last edited by Jessica Patel; 12-08-2016 at 12:56 AM.
    thank you

hello everyone what's up???
    thank you