Thread: DrmDoc Is In

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default DrmDoc Is In

Hello All,

Yes, I've been away for awhile but now I'm back if only for an occasional chat every now and then. Since my last post my perspective of dreams and dreaming have evolved considerably as I continued to study the content of dreams and the evolution of the dreaming brain. What seems obvious to me now was not as much when I first began my foray into dream study, as my earlier posts and replies may suggest. I now have a more cogent perspective on why we dream and how we should translate them. Although my perspective may be rooted in the science of brain evolution, it doesn't discourage perspectives less terrestrial in nature. The information and insight I've obtained and received have convinced me that there is indeed more to dreaming than science alone can determine or describe. However, as all reliable and rational perspectives should begin, the science of dreaming should always be our beginning. From my study of the science dreaming, I now have a better understanding of mind and consciousness and phenomena not directly related to dreaming such as the evolution of memory. If one should ask if dreams are meaningful messages, the science suggests that indeed they are.
    Last edited by DrmDoc; 06-11-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    "Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart; live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours." Dale Carnegie

Default Re: DrmDoc Is In

Welcome back Doc!

We have missed you my friend!
    No matter where you go, there you are...

Thank you, Palehorse. Dream Central has always been welcoming to my thoughts and perspective. My experiences here have always inspired my efforts to grow in insight and learn as much as I can about the true nature of dreams and dreaming. I've missed being here as well and hope others continue to find my meager contributions to their queries and study informative and helpful.
    "Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart; live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours." Dale Carnegie

Can you elaborate how they may be meaningful, scientifically? Thanks.

Hello someuser88,

Although there are dozens of peer reviewed studies suggesting a link between the content of dreams and waking experience--in both animals and humans--the most convincing evidence to me involves how dreams form. When we awake from dream sleep we are waking with memories of experiences that we couldn't have possibly engaged in physical reality while in bed asleep. We know that we experienced something while sleeping because we awake with memories suggesting an experience. Those memories form during our arousal from sleep as real physical/material sensory information returns to our consciousness, which stimulates memory production. This arousal process produces memories of dreams by associating real physical/material sensory experiences with the lingering effects created in the brain by the metabolic stimulation associated with the energy uptake that occurs amid atonic sleep, which is when our body releases its muscle ready state and brain activity increases during the sleeping process. Essentially, our waking brain assigns meaningful physical/material sensory references to the neurological effects lingering in the brain as we wake from sleep. This is our waking brain's attempt to define the incongruity of being asleep while sensing and having wakeful-like brain activity amid sleep. Our ability to describe our dreams with recognizable physical/material imagery suggests the meaningful or understandable nature of that imagery. Couple this perspective with evidence suggesting that our sleeping brain unconsciously recognizes the distinction between dreams and reality, we can identify what this imagery envelope and informs. Normally, we stay in bed and not engage our surrounding while dreaming. This immobility is not muscle paralysis, which is a rigid state, nor is it a evolutional adaptation for dreaming. The reality is that this flaccid state of our musculature is caused by the prolonged state of inactivity and decreased sensory stimuli associated with the sleep process. We don't move while dreaming because the increased brain activity amid this state does not contain the real physical/material sensory signatures that let our brain know that it is engaging reality. The imagery we recall as dreams upon waking from sleep isn't caused by the perceptions emanating through our body's sensory array from our environment but rather by our waking brain attaching physical/material significance to its lingering neural impressions of activity as caused by the metabolic processes that activates our brain amid sleep. The meaning our dreams may convey resides in our brain's innate understanding of the nature of its experience while activated and active amid the sleep process. Our brain's lack of gross motor (muscle) responses to dream sensory experiences suggests that it perceives the non-physical/immaterial impact of those sensory experiences. Dreaming is a mental experience, which in itself suggests their meaning and relevance. The physical/material significance that our waking brain attaches to the lingering neural impressions it sense amid arousal from sleep is how our waking-state brain interprets those non-physical/immaterial neural impressions. Empirically, dreams have form and substances only in our mind and memories and should, therefore, be perceived and understood from a perspective that is mental in nature. Attaching physical/material references to the purely mental experience of neural activations amid sleep is how our waking-state brain interpret its mid-slumber experiences. By attaching such references to a purely mental experience, our waking brain makes those experiences physically/materially meaningful and relevant. In view of this suggested meaningful and relevant nature of our dream memories, the further question becomes whether they have real purpose.
    Last edited by DrmDoc; 06-20-2014 at 09:23 AM.