I have been conducting an experiment inspired, strangly enough, by a nightmare.

Falling asleep to a horror movie, I awoke shaken, having had a bad nightmare. Thinking about my nightmare, I discovered that many elements of it were in fact plot elements of the movie.

So, realizing that the audio I was hearing while sleeping was in fact translated to ideas, (understood as negative by the sleeping mind) I tried a different approach.

I first put an episode of bbc horizion on a loop with low volume while I slept. The episode was about life expectancy an over-populations. It was an episode I never saw yet consiously.

I remembered nothing at all, and it did NOT effect my dreams.

HOWEVER...

When I cranked the volume up to the point it required ZERO effort to "hear", though it was hard to go to sleep in this LOUD environment, when I finally did I dreamed about it vividly.

But there is a problem here.

The time it took me to fall asleep due to the distracting loud noise, caused me to "listen" to the program before actual real sleep occurred, so this skewed the test.

In a different test I played 2 hours of music BEFORE the test recording (this time it was different, I listened to something I did not know, the history of the space race).

I played it really loud with enough duration of the music to ensure I fell asleep BEFORE the BBC Horizon episode on The Space Race even started playing.

I awoke with memories that corresponded with the stimuli. In other words, I dreamed about the space race! So what I discovered is it is not "subtle" stimuli, but LOUD INVASIVE stimuli, WILL EFFECT DREAMS!

This seems like an important step in the practical application of using sleep teaching.

Your opinions? Thoughts?