Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default constant nightmares

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has ideas on how to get nightmares to go away. I used to have good dreams, and bad ones, and remember both... but it seems like I am only having nightmares; and it had been two months. There isn't anything out of the ordinary going on and I don't understand the apparent themes.

For instance, the night before last I dreamt a boy had a dog, and somehow he accidentally irradiated it. In his pain over it (which I felt; I feel all the characters in dreams) and to justify the accident, he decided to tell all the other children that they must irradiate their pets as a law. The rest of the dream was following various children as their pets slowly died, and some children were trying to rescue the animals. I woke up when one of the children was caught trying to escape with their little dog (I don't think I could bear to see what happened to them).

The night before that I dreamt a man was designated the "owner of the degree" in a small town. The townspeople gave him the title as the only educated man (although he never went to school, it was kind of arbitrary). He had a special booth in the local diner and everything. He decided to retire, and so he was going to be replaced by a younger man. But the person he chose to replace him wasn't favored by the town, and for some reason the people assaulted the two men and chased them into a house. I was cutting holes in the screen windows and keeping my two cats from crawling in. I pushed one of my cats out rather forcefully and hurt her paw. It made me cry. The two men were murdered by a mob in the end and it woke me up.

Last night I dreamt there was a ornate, beautiful city made of glass, winding like an escher painting, but the city dwellers were unpleasant people. I'm not sure what was going on, but there was a terrible cloud of a feeling over everything. A family went out to dinner, and one of the sons brought his girlfriend to meet his folks or something like that. I was sort of an outsider getting a glimpse of them as they left a restaurant. There was a man that was watching them, who I knew was in love with the girlfriend and insane or dangerous somehow. They discovered he was watching and became afraid. He brutally murdered the couple later with a knife while they were being intimate, and that woke me up.

These sorts of dreams have been going on so long now that even when they wake me I am not startled anymore and just mildly uncomfortable. I don't understand what they mean, or why I am having them. Maybe it's just something I eat? I don't want to go to sleep because I just know I'll have another one. Is there any advice? I'm sure people have had it worse than this... and possibly figured out some way of dealing with it?
    Last edited by orignal poster; 07-06-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Default Re: constant nightmares

Hello Original Poster,

Well there was a couple of similar things in these dreams. In one, the setting was a town, in the other a beautiful city. Towns and cities seem to be about society so I am wondering whether you think about society and mass media and social norms and things like that. Perhaps you feel uneasy about the direction that society is heading or something?

Another common thing was that in two of your dreams, there were characters who seemed to demand some kind of authority, but they didn't seem to deserve their authority. Eg, the boy that accidently irradiated his dog, then made everyone else do the same to cover up his mistakes. Then there was the town leader with the 'degree' but he wasn't actually educated. So I am wondering whether you have been questioning some authority figures in society in your waking life lately?

If you think I might be on the right track, I am more than happy to go into more detail. Just let me know.

I have recently begun having constant nightmares every night, every time I sleep it seems. The dreams are random and are not related to a specific PTSD issue I have encountered in my life. I am not on any listed medications known to cause nightmares and I do not use alcohol more than two or three times a month. I also do not use recreational drugs. I have also noticed I have gone from only requiring four hours of sleep per night (this has worked perfectly for the majority of my life) to as much sleep as I can get now (still tired after nine or ten hours of sleep). These nightmares are not the same ones and range widely from one nightmare to the next. I do not see a similar theme in any of them except that they cause me terror. If anyone can help, I am desperate for assistance. Thanks in advance

Hello Southerngal,

if you post one or more dreams, I will try to help.

Why were you only getting 4 hours sleep per night? Did you choose this or did you have insomnia or something? If you were deprived of REM sleep during this time, that might explain the nightmares.
    Last edited by Chook; 09-06-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Hello, orignal poster, and Southerngal0214

The best way of getting rid of nightmares, that i have found, is you have to realize that your dreaming, and fight back. If you face whatever fear you have in the dream, normally that dream wont come back. Just try everynight before you sleep to tell yourself that you will realize it when your dreaming, and make a effort to do that. It will force the symbols to change to something more comunicative.

Peace and love in Jesus.

I feel like the only way to get rid of nightmares is by finding their source, and usually there is a little kink or trouble that you have to undo or fix or just give attention to. These dreams, and the way they seem so arbitrary or irrelevant and scattered makes me think they have more to do with what you are consuming every day, probably in the media. The source has to be some place that you are used to, as you said nothing out of the ordinary was going on, and the dreams just started coming. There has been a lot in the media, however, since spring that does have an impact on people. From all of the strife in the middle east to the chaotic weather incidents and the ongoing economic struggles. These pressures can accumulate and find expression in dreams. Life has seemed in general to be disrupted somewhat for a while.

I know what helps me is cutting all media out of my day at least a few days a week. No radio, tv, internet, etc. It's surprising at how much this clears up your mind. Every bit you hear or see of some horrific crime or situation is internalized by your brain almost as though it is an actual experience. Remember, our brains aren't used to or designed for television and radio and ultra-fast communication and transportation. It's sort of the same phenomena as when people watch a lot of a certain tv show, they start to think of the actors and characters as if they were actually their friends. Some people even develop insane obsessions in this way. Anyway, when our brains are continually bombarded with data flying at us through all of our senses, it is natural to recoil and in some way demand a break. These nightmares are like your soul puking up too much news. Take a day or a weekend and spend it outside or at the park or in the woods and you'll recover quick as long as you are able to let yourself relax. Maybe go to a spa or something. Good luck.
    Last edited by Firefly; 09-09-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
    "Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears" -- Edgar Allan Poe (both)

I had experienced before, started in 2002, night after night of dreaming, had disturb nights, sometimes the whole night I couldn't sleep and I was scared to sleep because I would see bad things in dream. When I couldn't sleep, I would get up and write poems or when I et up in the morning I would write my dream in my diary and some of my dreams I wrote them into poem/prose. My dreaming lesser and I shared them in some online forums, I felt better. In 2005 I became a member of poet.com and I shared my writing and I met many writers, they commented my writing and it greatly improved. Many told me that I have a gift of writing and adviced me to write a book. I have written 3 books and all published.