Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question Introducing myself: Hello all!

Hello all!
    My name is Daniel, a 35-year-old disabled artist living in Tulsa, Oklahoma. For as long as I can remember I've been plagued by seriously intense dreams/nighmares/night terrors. I've been trying to find an online forum where I can express these dreams and hopefully get some feedback. I do keep an online (uncensored) dream journal through Blogger, and I should be posting the link to that soon after I get comfortable on here. I'd like to meet other who have similar issues as myself.

Just as an FYI, I have two sleep disorders: Non-24-hour free running internal circadian rhythm, which basically means my body thinks that the day runs about 30 hours, so I typically will be up for 30 hours, then down 30 hours, but this can fluctuate from time to time. The sun give me no cue as to when to go to sleep. This disorder is typically seen in totally blind people. How I acquired it is beyond me. I also have a disorder with less of an impact: delayed sleep phase syndrome, which is a more common disorder. So my method of dealing with it is just going to bed when my body tells me to. But in the past couple of years it has got worse.

What's more is that the bulk of dreams/nightmares I have really rule my emotions for the following day, and more broadly, they effect my mood in general.

I would ultimately like to find friends here who may be in a similar situation and that would like to compare notes and such. I also have a severe case of Addison's Disease, so anyone with that is more than welcome to start a conversation with me.

I really just need to make some friends here. I hardly have any in the city I live in. Most just don't understand. I know I have at least a better chance here. If you feel so inclined, please send a message and we'll see what happens then. :)

Default Re: Introducing myself: Hello all!

your very odd sleep conditions have certainly made you more attune to the impact your dreams have on the waking life. I'm curious, have you tried white noise? pink noise? a variety of those noise types that can be generated now on a computer?

I would love to read this blog of yours as it's bound to give great insights into how wake cycles effect dream types. typically looking for subtle things that seem unique/typical YOU dreams that 24hr people may not have. .. sort of dream accent. if you get what i'm saying.

look forward to talking with you more in soon.

Regards,
    If your in a hurry to get some idea of your dreams meaning i've made a Dream Quiz that will help provide some insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello Leon:
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I will send you the link to my online dream journal through a PM on this site since I'm a newbie and they won't let me yet. LOL. Feel free to read any or all of it. It's the only journal that I welcome people to read.

As far as "remedies" are concerned, I've tried everything under the sun, from colored light, even to a really expensive lightbox designed for people like me, tuned to a specific wavelength of blue. I've been through many sleep studies. All of which left the doctors scratching their heads. The most I hear from them is that they've never seen this and that I'll probably just have to get used to this unusual lifestyle. I must admit, though, that because of this it has had a tremendous effect on my view on suicide. Not only do I have the sleep disorders I have Addison's disease and its satellite diseases: severe osteoporosis, diabetes, hypertension, just to name a few.

Again, I welcome any feedback or suggestions.

----------

Okay Leon,
    I've tried responding here in the forum, but I cannot add a link until I reach five posts. So then I decided to send you a PM. Well, that had some other strange requirements. Needless to say, I really want you to see my dream journal, so once I meet the criteria, I'll be sending off the link for you to peruse. :) Thanks again!

Hello and welcome to the site.

I wanted to say hello, and offer a bit of information.

I read your post and understand the different ailments that trouble you and my sympathy goes out to you. I understand some things about Addison's disease but not everything. I just want to share with you that our endocrine system and limbic system has the total control over our emotions, which also include our dreams. Part of that system as you know is the adrenal glands, which are not functioning properly, causing Addison's. Those glands are producing too much or too little of the various hormones. This imbalance leads to soo many other complications. Just imagine a car engine pumping the wrong amounts of fluids here and into there and not enough here or there, and causes malfunctions and delays and problems. It is the same with hormone balance or imbalance rather. The key word is balance. I am sure you must be on some sort of steriod treatment to control the symptoms. Since it sounds like everything is progressed with osteoporosis, diabetes etc. I am guessing you may be a senior citizen already and may be too late to try and turn back the clock.

The right balance of foods is going to be your best friend. It also starts with eliminating every toxic type of food from your diet. Sweating is also very good for you, it helps purify the body. If you are able to be active to work up a sweat, you will slowly start to heal yourself. If you cannot be active, try a mild sauna to help with the balance of the body. Drink nothing but water and occasional glass of juice. People with Addison's should never drink anything else. It WILL make the disease progress and worsen with other ailments. Avoid fats and sugars as well. I would recommend to add a good amount of these next things to your daily eating routine and this will improve you gradually over time.. I would eat alot of the sweet variety of almonds every single day. This will give you the bone nourishment and repair for the osteoporosis. Stay away from the red meats and everything fried for the diabetes. Do not add salt to any foods and stay away from every bag of chips unless it is the baked variety. Use peanut oil to massage all parts of the body except the abdomen, avoid any coldcuts that arent turkey or chicken. NO ham or bacon. A salad and an apple and almonds and poultry or fish is the real cure.

Your circadian rythym will most likely remain unless a very strict diet is followed. Even if your circadian rythym is not on track, It should still have no impact on your dreams. It is your diet and life choices that make the dreams happen. Even under normal circadian rythym, the dreams are typically two 45 minute segments totalling 90 minutes of dreaming. If a person does not get 16 hours awake and 8 hours sleeping and they get like 19 hours wake and 5 sleep, the next night will bump up their 90 minutes to 120mins or 180 mins of dreaming and so on depending on how much sleep deprivation has taken place. If you over sleep lets say 11-12 hours on the regular and even more than that... then that is a sleep disorder caused by something terribly wrong in the brain that may have multiple causes. I would say it is a problem with the Pineal Gland over-producing melatonin and for what reason would be any doctor's best guess. For insomniacs it is probably an underactive pineal gland.
    Well enough of my 2 cents.. BTW.. I am studying to be a medical professional and have ALOT of additional training in psychology if you have any questions about anything or just need someone to talk to, we are here for ya.
    Row, Row, Row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily life is but a dream....