Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ebenezer Guest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Is it possible to have a dream "memory dump?"

This phenomenon started a couple of years ago. It occurs every couple of months. During the day, I will have feelings similar to deja vu. Something will trigger me, a word, a situation, a sight, and I will have a brief flash of memory of something similar. The first few times it happened, I thought I was having deja vu and remembering past real-life events. Pretty soon, however, I realized I was remembering dreams I've had in the past. This only lasts for a day, sometimes two. It starts not long after I wake up and lasts all day. I'll remember the briefest flash of a dream, not even enough to get hold of. Then as the day progresses, more and more flashes of past dreams come into my head, sometimes coming fast and I am able to actually recall dreams from my past. If the flashes come too quickly, I feel physically ill: dizzy, nauseous and almost like I'm going to have a panic attack.

I've always been able to recall my dreams, usually every morning. Not always, but usually. I really don't like being able to recall dreams so easily, as it makes me feel I didn't get good, restful sleep. I haven't been able to find anything about this weird phenomenon. I realize it sounds weird and like I'm some kind of lunatic, but I wish it would go away. It's almost like my brain is saying, ok I have enough remembered dreams in here, it's time to dump them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer View Post
    This phenomenon started a couple of years ago. It occurs every couple of months. During the day, I will have feelings similar to deja vu. Something will trigger me, a word, a situation, a sight, and I will have a brief flash of memory of something similar. The first few times it happened, I thought I was having deja vu and remembering past real-life events. Pretty soon, however, I realized I was remembering dreams I've had in the past. This only lasts for a day, sometimes two. It starts not long after I wake up and lasts all day. I'll remember the briefest flash of a dream, not even enough to get hold of. Then as the day progresses, more and more flashes of past dreams come into my head, sometimes coming fast and I am able to actually recall dreams from my past. If the flashes come too quickly, I feel physically ill: dizzy, nauseous and almost like I'm going to have a panic attack.

I've always been able to recall my dreams, usually every morning. Not always, but usually. I really don't like being able to recall dreams so easily, as it makes me feel I didn't get good, restful sleep. I haven't been able to find anything about this weird phenomenon. I realize it sounds weird and like I'm some kind of lunatic, but I wish it would go away. It's almost like my brain is saying, ok I have enough remembered dreams in here, it's time to dump them.
    Hi,
    It is not unusual to recall your past dreams in the daytime, or at any time after you dreamt it. Think how you can forget someones name and you think of it next day when something jogs your memory!
    However "If the flashes come too quickly, I feel physically ill: dizzy, nauseous and almost like I'm going to have a panic attack" I would worry about this, incase you really have a micro-sleep during these flashes. It would mean a touch of narcolepsy. You should discuss this with your doctor.
    We all have a memory bank that we can access sometimes, however the subconscious has access to all our memories at any time. So it is not so strange to recall past dreams, or past experiences.
    Cheers Wolfjk
    Dreaming is a vital function of life

Glennack49 Guest

Hello,

I couldnt believe it when I read your post. I have been experienceing the exact same symptoms for the last week or so and have been racking my brain to try to figure out what it is. Mine usually starts when I'm in the shower in the morning, right out of bed. Suddenly, something reminds me of a dream that I had, then I momentarily re-live the dream, with vivid recollection of places and faces. This is usually accompanied by dizziness, fear and nausea and strange emotions. I have tried for the life of me to hold on to these images that come to me during these "zones", only to have forgotten most of it soon after. One time, I got so panic stricken from recalling a bad dream that I had to sit down in the shower. 1 hour later, I had no idea what it was that caused the feeling except for what I'm writing now. Very Strange!

Ebenezer Guest

Sorry you're having the same thing! I'd be willing to accept that it's a panic attack, I've had those in the past, but not for many years now. And it's not like those I've had in the past. These are very short, lasting only a few seconds. And I don't feel so much panicky as just dizzy, nauseous and like I've lost touch with reality. I know those can be symptoms of panic attacks too, it just doesn't feel like that. Plus, it doesn't explain the dream connection. That's the weirdest part. The snatches of dreams I remember are usually not bad or nightmarish, just odd, weird, confusing, sometimes maybe a little bit disturbing. And I'm sorry yours are lasting a week! Mine are only a day, occasionally 2 days but that's it. And mine, too, start pretty much first thing in the morning.

weiss Guest

probably getting enough sleep would take care of it. you're more likely to get hit with some wave of weird emotions when you are tired. do you work a night job or something?

NfoJunkie Guest

Yet more people suffering from this:

Sporadic dizziness/disorientation/nausea - WrongDiagnosis.com

I have to agree with one person who said the best cure is just to tell yourself to stop thinking about the dreams and think of something else. Just put it out of your mind and distract yourself.
    I followed your link, Ebenezer, then followed a link posted on THAT thread to a VERY interesting article on Deja Vu. I'll post an exerpt with the parts that seem possibly relevant, and I'll also post the link for anyone that wants to read the whole thing (which is equally informative & worth reading).

DéjÃ* vu and the Brain, Consciousness and Self | Serendip's Exchange
    Arthur Funkhouser (1) defines three types of déjà vu in an attempt to more clearly delineate between associated, but different, neurological experiences. These are déjà vecu (already experienced), déjà senti (already felt) and déjà visité (already visited). Déjà vecu is the most common déjà vu experience and involves the sensation of having done something or having been in an identical situation before and knowing what will happen next. These sensations are often felt through several senses: seeing, hearing, taste, touch and proprioceptive perceptions. The experience is often incredibly detailed and is usually connected to very normal activities. Although the episode itself lasts from only a fraction of a second to several minutes, it can often be remembered in minute detail long after the episode has occurred. One experiencer says, "There came this strange, almost physical up-welling of visual experience, a visual warping, and at the same time an eerie realization that everything happening now had happened before, maybe many times (11)."

Déjà senti is different from déjà vecu in that the episode of recollection feels more like the recovery of long sought after information. The sensation is one of satisfaction at having retrieved a memory although the memory was not actively sought. This form of déjà vu does not involve any feelings of premonition and the episodes quickly dissipate from memory. Déjà senti has been strongly associated with the partial seizure experiences reported by temporal lobe epilepsy patients. The extended nature of these episodes has allowed for more detailed descriptions of the feelings associated with a déjà senti event. "It was as if one of my dreams had simply been sucked out of the actual, physical environment and set to playing again in every detail (11)." Déjà visité is a more rare event in which a person visits a new place and feels that it is familiar. It is associated more with spatial dimensions while déjà vecu is associated with situations and processes. Déjà vu experiences can be in one of the three forms described above or can be a mixed version with a combined déjà vu effect [The above from (1)].
    What is this role of the self in déjà vu? "To what extent is it possible for the core awareness to preserve ... images and emotions before they're swallowed up again and sealed tight? (11)" One epileptic déjà vu experiencer claimed that he could consciously recapture the feelings and notions associated with déjà vu simply by writing down the images that appeared during the experience. Later, he found that the memories had not vanished as before but could be brought back to a conscious level simply by reading the notes. The experience was brought back to him as if it was a conscious daydream (11). The striking implication here is that part of the conscious self, the I-function, is intimately involved and may be communicating with the processes of a déjà vu.

I'm certainly no expert, but perhaps you might try to react differently and approach things different than you usually do, both in dreams and in waking life. In general, when life's getting to me and I can't yet change my situation, I change what I can in my surroundings... try to find different things to do with my free time, try to meet new people &/or consider different reactions to situations, even clean & re-arrange my room... it's surprising what a big difference small changes like this can make in your mood & perspective.

NfoJunkie Guest

Default One more thing...

Quote Originally Posted by weiss View Post
    probably getting enough sleep would take care of it. you're more likely to get hit with some wave of weird emotions when you are tired. do you work a night job or something?
    I also agree with this post, make sure you're setting aside enough time for sleep, and if you already are getting enough sleep, you might try changing the time you go to sleep & get up to either earlier or later. Varzandeh posted a timetable that I found interesting that links the time-of-day that the dreams occur & the timeframe that the dreams might generally be about. I work a night job, and for the hours I sleep/dream, most of my dreams would be of the following days or weeks, perhaps months according to the timetable. Since I don't know the source I don't know how valid or accurate the timetable is, just a new, interesting concept... perhaps we dream about different kinds of things at different times in the night/day.

Yet more people suffering from this:

Sporadic dizziness/disorientation/nausea - WrongDiagnosis.com

I have to agree with one person who said the best cure is just to tell yourself to stop thinking about the dreams and think of something else. Just put it out of your mind and distract yourself.
    Hi Ebenezer.
    What is wrong with having a proper medical check up? It would be safer for you to have a proper brain scan, just in case you have a touch of narcolepsy.
    It would be better than going from one forum to another!
    Your dreams and your post only give a few indications regarding your condition. No one can teel for sure.
    Cheers Wolfjk
    Dreaming is a vital function of life

ck2900 Guest

Ebenezer, I know exactly what you are talking about...after going for many years without any problems, I had an episode this weekend. I did not get much sleep this weekend and I think that is what triggered the event. When I first woke up Saturday morning I felt somewhat light headed. A few hours later I started having the fragments of dreams running through my head. Eventually, I remembered the dream in great detail, but only for about 10 seconds. During those 10 seconds, I felt very nauseous, and felt like I was going to faint...all this happened while I was remembering the dream... I had to sit down and focus on not getting sick. I forced myself to quit reliving the dream and started to feel better, but then I broke out in a cold sweat. After this episode was over, I could not remember the dream anymore, even though I recalled it in great detail just seconds earlier...It is the strangest feeling I have ever had. When I first had these episodes years ago, I tried to explain them to my family physician, but he didn't take it seriously. I really would like to know what this phenomenom is called and what causes it. I am sure there are many people out there that have experienced this, but are reluctant to talk about it, because it is so bizarre. Does anyone out there have anymore info about this? Is there anyone else out there that has had or is having these episodes?

ck2900 Guest

Default RE: Dream Dump

Ebenezer, I know exactly what you are talking about...after going for many years without any problems, I had an episode this weekend. I did not get much sleep this weekend and I think that is what triggered the event. When I first woke up Saturday morning I felt somewhat light headed. A few hours later I started having the fragments of dreams running through my head. Eventually, I remembered the dream in great detail, but only for about 10 seconds. During those 10 seconds, I felt very nauseous, and felt like I was going to faint...all this happened while I was remembering the dream... I had to sit down and focus on not getting sick. I forced myself to quit reliving the dream and started to feel better, but then I broke out in a cold sweat. After this episode was over, I could not remember the dream anymore, even though I recalled it in great detail just seconds earlier...It is the strangest feeling I have ever had. When I first had these episodes years ago, I tried to explain them to my family physician, but he didn't take it seriously. I really would like to know what this phenomenom is called and what causes it. I am sure there are many people out there that have experienced this, but are reluctant to talk about it, because it is so bizarre. Does anyone out there have anymore info about this? Is there anyone else out there that has had or is having these episodes?