Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

"From where do dreams come?"

Quote Originally Posted by ”Jennings”
    To partially answer the question you posed, dreaming seems to be the continuation of the brain's processes when liberated from the constraints our self-control.

Well, it's an attempt although, okay, it's a bit feeble.
    Hi Jennings,

No, it was a magnificent attempt! Dreaming, from my study, is indeed a continuation of the brain’s processes. My study of the most credible research suggests that dreaming is an interpretive process, which the brain engages when it arouses amid sleep. In truth, our brain has to awake to dream. Even more interesting, what we remember about our dreams begins to form as we become conscious rather than during the experience of dreaming.

Our brain partially awakes during sleep. When that happens, it begins to process and interpret the influences it is able detects. When our brain partially awakes amid sleep, it is partially disconnected from its sources of physical/material sensory. This disconnection leaves our partially conscious brain with only those influences to interpret that are resonant within its structure. Rather than creations of the mind, the imagery and experiences in our dreams are interpretations of influences upon the mind. I welcome your thoughts.
    "Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart; live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours." Dale Carnegie

Jennings Guest

I take it that while the body remains at rest, during sleep, that the brain moves out of and into the sleep state. That when the brain sleeps we would appear, from what you say, to be unconscious or unaware of external influences; that when the brain awakes while the body is in the sleep state that it is only then that dreaming occurs yet it still remains in a kind of passive state to external stimuli or, at least, remains free of the control of the conscious mind (a paradox). That to dream is to be in a semi-conscious state and that consciousness is necessary to recall the dream or to be aware of dreaming which would account for the phenomenon of lucid dreaming yet this description seems so inadequate.

I have slept on the sitting room easy chair having felt extremely tired from working a night shift but, prior to settling into sleep in which I dreamt heavily, I was concerned that someone in my family may find me so deep into sleep that they might be concerned about me so I thought to myself, should anything unusual occurs during my sleep that I will awake prior which might sound a tad illogical, yet I did awake, and about two minutes later I could hear the noises from the bedrooms as one of my daughters awoke early and came into the sitting room to find me sitting awake on the chair. I guess this might be similar to a mother who can awaken in the middle of the night when her child needs her.

The question that I am attempting to pose but possibly not very successfully is, that even when the brain is asleep or in the dream state that it can respond to external stimuli in advance of the happening; it seems that somewhere we posses a sense (or consciousness) that remains awake, like an antenna, that is able to anticipate an event and I wonder what causes this to happen and also what takes our brain into and out of the sleep state?

I need to restrict myself to advancing in small steps when attempting to unravel this phenomenon of dream.

baddreamer Guest

i have a quetion for you...there is this certain dream i keep having... actually there is 3 different dreams that i have. but i have them all of the time.. they are not good dreams at all... but i have them bascially on a day to day basis... what does that mean...

confused

Pacci Guest

Hi! Can anyone help me out. Last night I dreamt it was very dark and I was standing in front of Kaba'ah. A man in white dress was kissing the black stone i waited for my turn and then without getting a chance I went away to the toilet. And then i saw i was naked and shy.

raverhar Guest

Default I keep having precognitive dreams!

Hi,

I started have precognitive dreams dating back to when I was five and my gandmother died. I knew she was gonna die because I saw the expression of my uncle in my dream and my famioly crying while we all were at the hospital. I knew something bad was to happen that was irreversible. From then on it has been happening more and more often. I have dreams that come true every week. Most of my dreams I dont remember until it is actually happening. What do you suggest for me to do about recapping my dreams before they actually come true? I want to be able to fully recap my dreams. I actually say this because My auntie's house burned down 3 months ago and I knew it was gonna happen but I did not know when. I did not say anything because I did not want to alarm my family.

Fela,

h0tshots Guest

Hi, I'm all new here, and I found this site in my search for info about analysing dreams. Now, I am not religious, and I don't believe in anything supersticius. So I wonder how much of the information is rooted in psychology, and how much is based on christian believes?

littlecleo Guest

Talking Cannot figure this dream out.

I usually am pretty good understanding most of what my dreams mean, but I had a dream last night that I was looking out my bay window and there was this big white house with huge pillars and had the initials GM on it written in fancy black letters..this one confused me and I then I went outside and was asking people who GM was and then my dream ended. I am still confused. Can you help?

Hi Littlecleo,

The big white house with huge pillars could be a metaphor for the house General Motors (GM) built. Houses in dreams often describes those social structures and routines that provide our lives with comfort, security, and stability. Try evaluating your dream from that perspective. I hope this helps.

DrmDoc
    "Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart; live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours." Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshots
    Hi, I'm all new here, and I found this site in my search for info about analysing dreams. Now, I am not religious, and I don't believe in anything supersticius. So I wonder how much of the information is rooted in psychology, and how much is based on christian believes?
    Hi Hotshots,

This is a very good question. In my opinion, religion exerts a potent influence on our psychology and our dreams primarily describe influences that have a persistent psychological affect. There is, however, much more to the information our dreams describe than religion and psychology. Our dreams are an honest reflection of what we think and feel about ourselves and the influences that may have a substantial or lasting impact on our lives. Unfortunately, much of what some believe dreams to be is not entirely accurate.

If one is interested in the truth about dreams, I believe one must begin with what can be proven. Empirically, our psychology and dreams are not possible without the neural structure we have evolve to perceive and interpret these experiences. I believe that understanding the truth about our dreams require our understanding of how it all begin with the evolution of our dreaming brain. Its long but fascinating story. I hope this helps.

DrmDoc
    Last edited by DrmDoc; 08-12-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

Hi Raverhar,

Rather than opportunities to change the future, I think that many precognitive dreams occur to prepare us for some eventuality. Afterall, the challenges we endure rather than avoid can strengthen us and enhance our survival chances. If your question is about how to remember and evaluate your dreams better, I believe you will have to develop a routine of recording your dreams whenever you awake with memories of them. The act of waking to record each and every dream will make them memorable and easier to understand. Writing down or talking them out brings the imagery of your dreams from your mind into the physical world. This physical manifestation could gives your dreams the kind of prominence that could enhance your memory and understanding of them. I hope this helps.

DrmDoc